EDGUY – Released their CD single Lavatory Love Machine back on June 21st, 2004, on Nuclear Blast Records. I purchased this cool EDGUY CD single about two years ago, on the Century Media Records website… CM Distro. Now, Lavatory Love Machine is out of print, still I have currently seen it for sale both new and used through Amazon.com.
For anyone unfamiliar with EDGUY, they are a Power Metal/Heavy Metal band from Germany. EDGUY could have easily fit right into the mid to late 80′s Heavy Metal mix – for their sound has all the trappings of Old School flavor… in my Metal opinion. From 1997 thru 2009, EDGUY has released eight studio albums, two live albums, three CD singles, two EP’s and two compilation/greatest hits albums.
I do like to collect the rare and out of print albums, cassettes and CD’s of my favorite bands. Many times, I have no Metal clue that a particular title is even out of print… until I stumble on an article or online music retail store that expresses those magic words: product discontinued by manufacturer.
The single Lavatory Love Machine is from the 2004 EDGUY studio album – Hellfire Club. This song has all the power driven, Arena style Heavy Metal that the late 80′s was famous for. An acoustic version of Lavatory Love Machine is on this single as well, of course it is much more mellow and toned down. I’ll Cry For You is an acoustic ballad as well, it showcases the open approach that lead vocalist Tobias Sammet has taken musically, throughout his entire career, with EDGUY. This is a band that can slam it down unreal heavy and still sound great (and cool) doing the soft stuff.
Reach Out is another… ballad. More on the “power” ballad side, Reach Out I gravitate towards courtesy of Tobias Sammet… I really like the believable emotion his vocals radiate on this song. There is no guitar, bass or drums on Reach Out, just some inspiring keyboards and piano. The “power” of this song is derived from Tobias Sammet’s vocals, in my Metal opinion.
I sound like a broken record when stating that I’m not the big ballad dude, only there are those times where I do listen to them, they fall into my lap so to speak. Keeping an open Metal mind is what I try to do and if the ballad works for my ears, then Metal be thy name.
* The music video for Lavatory Love Machine is also on this CD single, I’d swear it was a late 80′s music video due to it’s Old School approach. A fun video to watch!
* I’ll Cry For You is a cover song originally found on the Europe album from 1991 – Prisoners in Paradise.
* Tracks 1 thru 3 can also be found on the 2008 EDGUY album – The Singles.
* Reach Out can be found on the Japanese import version of EDGUY – Rocket Ride, released in 2006. Lavatory Love Machine (Acoustic Version) is found on this same Japanese version of Rocket Ride too. It gets very confusing, when tracking down when specific songs were released and on what album!
Track Listing For Lavatory Love Machine:
1. Lavatory Love Machine
2. Lavatory Love Machine (Acoustic Version)
3. I’ll Cry For You – (Europe Cover Song)
4. Reach Out
Lavatory Love Machine – (video clip) – complete music video
EDGUY, as they appeared on the Lavatory Love Machine CD Single:
Tobias Sammet - vocals
Jens Ludwig – guitar & backing vocals
Dirk Sauer – guitar & backing vocals
Tobias “Eggi” Exxel - bass & backing vocals
Felix Bohnke – drums, percussion
* Frank Tischer - plays piano on Reach Out. It is my best Metal guess, that Tobias Sammet plays keyboards on Reach Out, no documentation can be found in the liner notes to support this Metal guess however.