DREAM EVIL – Children Of The Night EP was released back in October of 2003 on Century Media Records. This EP contains four songs, three in which were previously unreleased tracks up until 2003, those three songs are: Dragonheart, Betrayed and an unplugged/acoustic version of Evilized. A music video is also on this EP – Children Of The Night, which was filmed on February 20th, 2003, in Gothenburg, Sweden, on Dream Evil’s Evilized European Tour while supporting Hammerfall. The lead guitarist of Dream Evil on this Children Of The Night EP, Gus G., is now the new guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne and featured on the upcoming Ozzy album Scream, to be released on June 22, 2010.
This Dream Evil lineup was a solid one, delivering straight-up European Power Metal that did not go over the top with keyboards. Clearly, the focal point of this Dream Evil lineup is certainly Gus G. on lead guitar. As vibrant and melodic as he is fierce with his tone, Gus G. does not compromise his playing with unnecessary excessiveness on the need for speed. Gus G. can play fast with the best of them, only he makes the songs come alive with an almost boastful restraint on this Children Of The Night EP. There is a mammoth amount of bite and might in the guitar playing of Gus G. and the songs heard on this EP are a fitting Metal example.
Evilized is an unplugged/acoustic version that emanates an unrestrained dark hardness. Before you listen to this acoustic version of Evilized, please check your sappiness hat and coat at the front Metal door. The lyrics have not changed from the original Power Metal version… Evilized still gets it’s evil point across within this acoustic blanket of sound.
Children Of The Night, (see & hear video below), is a deliciously heavy and melodic Dream Evil song. Gus G. really displays his guitar muscularity on this song, with flashes of Old School licks. Niklas Isfeldt on vocals doesn’t over extend his range, while giving all the emotion that is necessary to Children Of The Night. A fine singer is Niklas, not exuding any annoying or notorious Metal swagger… he just got the Metal job done with Dream Evil.
Dragonheart begins with Gus G. leading the speed attack on guitar. The tempo never subsides throughout this song, it only picks up more steam with Gus G. unleashing a blazing guitar solo. Snowy Shaw is just dead on perfect on drums… what more can be said about him, besides he is as quality driven as they come in Metal. Dragonheart is a surefire song to get any Old School or new fan to bang thy head.
Betrayed just gets my adrenaline all pumped up, from the opening guitar riff this song just kicks out relentless flashes of Power Metal goodness. While some songs in Metal history are not so well known, Betrayed is a Dream Evil song that just has to be known and heard by Heavy Metal fans… Metal be thy name.
This Dream Evil EP, Children Of The Night, makes for a mandatory must own for all Dream Evil fans. With the collectible factor thrown in, this is a CD that could become quite rare down the Metal road. I have seen it for sale online still… a new copy can fetch over $20 (U.S.), so maybe there are used copies out there floating around that are more inexpensive.
* Using the “new” Metal Odyssey album review rating system… Dream Evil – Children Of The Night EP gets 4.5 out of 5 Metal Fists!
* Check out the 2003 music video for Children Of The Night below… and turn it up LOUD!
DREAM EVIL as they appear on Children Of The Night:
Gus G. – guitars
Niklas Isfeldt – vocals
Fredrik Nordstrom – guitars & keyboards
Peter Stalfors – bass
Snowy Shaw – drums
Track Listing For Children Of The Night:
Children Of The Night
Evilized (Unplugged Version)
Children Of The Night (Video Clip Enhancement)
Japanese Track Listing:
Metal Odyssey Note: I do not own this Japanese version, I will someday though!
Children of the Night
Take the World
The Prophecy (demo)
Heavy Metal in the Night (demo)
Evilized (acoustic version)
Children Of The Night (Video Enhancement)
Here are the first two Dream Evil albums, (with Gus. G. on lead guitar), released before the Children Of The Night EP:
Dragonslayer – released on June 25, 2002:
Evilized – released on March 25, 2003:
* Here are some Gus G. related websites you might find of Metal interest:
HERE ARE SOME GUS G. METAL FACTS YOU MAY NEED TO KNOW! ENJOY!
* Gus G. was born in Thessaloniki, Greece.
* At age 18, Gus G. attended the famed – Berklee College of Music, in Boston, Massachusetts.
* Famed Gothenburg producer and Dream Evil guitarist Fredrik Nordstrom and Gus G. united to form Dream Evil, beginning their idea for the band in 1999.
* Gus G. first played live with Ozzy Osbourne at the BlizzCon annual convention. This was during the closing ceremony on August 22, 2009. Blizzard Entertainment celebrates their major franchise games such as Warcraft, StarCraft and Diablo at these conventions. This BlizzCon convention was held at the Anaheim Convention Center, in Anaheim, California… wish I was there to see that historical moment in Heavy Metal history!
* Gus G. also played with Melodic Death Metal icon – Arch Enemy as a touring guitarist in 2005. Gus G. played the solo on the song Taking Back My Soul, on the Arch Enemy album Doomsday Machine, released in 2005.
* Gus G. is founder and lead guitarist of the fantastic Power Metal Band – Firewind, releasing five studio albums between 2002 – 2008.
* Gus G. has also played guitar for German Power Metal Band – Mystic Prophecy, from 2001-2005.
* Gus G. also played on demos for and helped out Greek/Swedish Melodic Death Metal Band – Nightrage.
* Gus G. adds his talent/solo on a song for the upcoming/new – Kamelot album.
* Original Dream Evil drummer Snowy Shaw also played for the ultra legendary – King Diamond and Mercyful Fate.
HERE ARE SOME GEOGRAPHICAL FACTS CONNECTED TO GUS G.! ENJOY!
* Thessaloniki is the second largest city in Greece and the capital of Macedonia.
* Gothenburg is the second largest city in Sweden. The largest city in Sweden is Stockholm.
* Disneyland opened on July 18, 1955, in Anaheim California.
Gus G. has quietly built quite an impressive and credible Heavy Metal career for himself. As you have seen and read above, NO, Gus G. did not just come out of “nowhere” to become the featured guitarist for Ozzy Osbourne. Gus G. is a talent, has paid his Metal dues, and is a unique guitarist that Ozzy knew about… as well as countless other Metal fans have worldwide, for quite some time. Ozzy has chosen well… in my Metal opinion.